Protect your invention
To become the owner of a patent, you must make a patent deposit application:
- at National Patent Office in the Department of Industrial Property at the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism, if you aim at a national patent.
- at GCC Patent Office, if you aim a regional patent.
Here are all the steps to help you build your file and make your request
- Before you apply
- Understand Patent: Before taking any steps to protect your invention, it is important to consult our section “understand intellectually property”, you can find a basics information to better understand the patent.
- Keep your invention secret: Don’t go public before to apply for a patent. Be aware that if you demonstrate, sell or discuss your invention in public before filing a patent application, you may not get a patent.
If you need to discuss your invention with other persons like business partners, have them sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Seeking intellectual property advice: finding the right advice and advisor is the important step in making the best decisions for your invention or business
You should consider whether a patent is right for your invention. Patent is the most difficult form of IP to get and is expensive to manage.
A patent may be the right choice for you if the potential for commercial returns outweighs the time, effort and money required to get and maintain a patent and you have the resources to manage your patent.
- If you decide to apply
- Check the state of the art: To make sure your invention is new, you need to search for similar patents:
- Check if a similar patent to your invention already exists
- Track the progress of a published patent application
- See if patents are available to license
- Speak to an intellectual Property professional: A patent specification is a legal document and requires specialist skills to draft properly.
- Prepare your application: A patent application must include:
- A description of your invention that allows others to see how it works and how it could made.
- Claims: Legal statements that set out the technical features of your invention that are to be protected.
- Abstract: summary of all the important technical aspects of your invention.
- Drawings illustrate your invention description.
- A patent application form
- The fees
- Apply for a patent
Find out about the application process:
- For a Bahraini Patent
- For a GCC Patent